Roulette is one of our favourite games online here at Bitcasino and it’s a game that our players return to time and again. Whether you are playing solo on our electronic versions or a live dealer version with other players, roulette has an irresistible draw. However, with the choices of so many different types of bets to make, it can become tricky, especially if you are playing live and need to react quickly under pressure.
If you’re not familiar with the available bet, this will slow you down and will gradually suck the fun out of the game. For your sake, then, it’s best to have a thorough understanding of the types of bets you can make and which ones will be best for you. Not only could this help you to make bigger gains, it just makes the game much more fun.
It’s helpful to know the odds and the payouts for each type of roulette bet. With that knowledge, you make informed decisions about the degree of risk you wish to take and know the amount of money you could win or lose.
This guide will help you to understand the types of bets to make when playing roulette and help you to develop a winning strategy. Once you’re comfortable with the bets you can make, check out our huge range of live and normal roulette tables right here at Bitcasino – you won’t find so much choice anywhere else!
Main betting option types
First, keep in mind that there are two different kinds of roulette wheels. The European roulette wheel consists of 37 numbered pockets from 0 to 36, which you can see below. Meanwhile the American roulette wheel consists of 38 numbered pockets from 0 to 36 plus a 00 pocket. The additional pocket on the American roulette wheel increases the house edge from 2.63% for the European wheel to 5.26%.
There are two main types of betting options in roulette – inside bets and outside bets. Inside bets are bets where you place your chips on one or more of the numbers that make up the inside section of the grid in the table layout. When you make an inside bet, you are betting that the ball will stop on the exact combination of numbers and colours.
Outside bets are those bets where you place your chips on the larger areas on the table layout that surrounds the inner grid of individual numbers. When you make an outside bet, you are betting on groups of pockets, such as whether the ball will stop on an odd or even number or on a black or red number.
Inside roulette bets
The following is a list of inside bets ranked in order of the most to the least payout.
· Straight up bet: This is one of the most straightforward bets in roulette. You are betting on which number the ball will stop at the next spin of the wheel. The payout is 35/1, meaning you will get 35 chips plus your original chip back if you win. The straight-up bet has the highest payout for any roulette bet.
· Split bet: This is a bet on two numbers. You place the bet by placing your chip to straddle the line between the two numbers on which you want to bet. The payout is 17/1.
· Street bet: This is a bet on a row of three numbers, such as 1, 2, 3 or 16, 17, 18. You place the bet by placing your chip on the line between the inside and outside betting areas, with your chip straddling the row’s first number. The payout is 11/1.
· Corner bet: Also called a quad bet, this is a bet on a square of four adjacent numbers, such as 1, 2, 4, 5 or 16, 17, 19, 20. You place the bet by placing your chip to touch the four corners of the numbers on which you are betting. The payout is 8/1.
· Basket bet: This is a bet on only the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3. The bet is also known as a first-four bet. The payout is 6/1.
· Five-number bet: This is a bet on only the numbers 00, 0, 1, 2, 3. Since the bet includes the number 00, it is only available on games using the American roulette wheel. The payout is 5/1.
· Double street bet: This is a bet on two adjacent rows of three numbers, such as 1 through 6 or 13 through 18. You place your bet by placing your chip on the line between the inside and outside areas while also straddling the line between the two rows. The payout is 5/1.
Outside roulette bets
The following is a list of outside bets ranked in order of the most to the least payout. To place outside bets, you simply place your chip in the appropriately labelled box on the roulette table layout.
· Dozens bet: This is a bet on one of three groups of 12 consecutive numbers. To place your bet, place your chip in the box labelled 1-12, 13-24 or 25-36. The payout is 2/1. However, if the ball stops on 0 or 00, you lose your bet.
· Column bet: This is a bet on one of the three columns of 12 numbers that go across the longest side of the roulette table. To place your bet, place your chip in the box at the end of the column. The payout is 2/1.
· High 18 bet: This is a bet on the ball stopping on a pocket numbered 19 through 36. The payout is 1/1.
· Low 18 bet: This is a bet on the ball stopping on a pocket numbered 1 through 18. The payout is 1/1.
· Red or black bet: This is a bet on whether the ball will stop on a red or black number. If you chose correctly, you win the bet. The payout is 1/1.
· Odd or even bet: This is a bet on whether the ball will stop on an odd or even number. If you chose correctly, you win the bet. The payout is 1/1.
You now have the information you require to decide which types of bets are best for you. If you enjoy taking more risks for high rewards, then inside bets may be best for you. If you are a person who prefers to enjoy more frequent, smaller wins, then low-risk, low rewards outside bets may be preferable. Go and practice and play one of our thrilling roulette tables now!
Words: Sean Mcnulty
Images: PA, Depositphotos & Bitcasino