You’ve registered for a new player account, have had your first deposit confirmed, and are now ready to play your first video poker games.
Are there any tips to ensure poker success? Of course, we can’t deal the cards you want, so we can’t guarantee any hot winning streaks. That said, there are some simple rules you can try that might just make you a better player and will make your video poker games infinitely more fun and rewarding.
1. Practice makes perfect
You can of course play many of our games here at Bitcasino for free and it’s not necessary to part with a single bitcoin if you’re trying to get more familiar with the game before making a stake.
This could not come highly recommended enough, as you will learn more about the gameplay, become more familiar with the rules, and ensure that if you do decide to play money games in the future, you are well prepared for the challenge.
2. Strength in numbers
Unless you have a really good memory, newcomers to poker sometimes forget the hierarchy of winning hands.
That’s cool, nobody’s perfect.
However, it does make sense to get to grips with the winning combinations as soon as possible so that you know when to call and when to fold.
Our advice? Just write them down in order on a bit of paper or find a printout online. That way, you can refer to your notes and ensure that no winning possibilities pass you by. With the added discretion of online gaming, you never have to worry about other players sizing you up or dismissing your cautious approach. It’s your game, after all, and here at Bitcasino we respect that.
3. Watch and learn
There’s absolutely no harm in watching others play video poker before you get stuck in yourself.
You can watch how your fellow players go about their business, or search for tuition videos to help hone your craft further.
4. Remember the basic play is exactly like normal casino poker
You might be playing in a completely different setting to the usual casino, instead of the tension and glamour you might be comfortably playing at home. This doesn’t change the game however, you’re still playing poker!
Here’s a quick breakdown look at the various different poker hands, ordered from low to high:
· High card – this will rarely get the job done. Here, you have no other combination in your hand, and so your highest-ranking card takes precedence. Remember, in many forms of poker, aces can be high or low, so check the table rules before you start playing.
· A pair – as the name implies, your hand contains two matching numbers, e.g. a pair of eights.
· Two pair – this time, you’ve pocketed two sets of pairs, e.g. a pair of eights and a pair of sevens.
· Three of a kind – now, we’re getting into the more powerful hands. “Trips”, as they’re sometimes known, can often be a pot winner.
· Straight – this is where you have a set number of cards that follow each other numerically. Aces can be high or low, so examples of straights include A-2-3-4-5, 10-J-Q-K-A and 4-5-6-7-8. A straight cannot loop, so for example Q-K-A-2-3 is not a straight.
· Flush – here, all of your cards are of the same suit. Hearts, diamonds, clubs and spades all have the same weighting, so no preference is given to which suit your flush is.
· Full house – if you are playing five-card versions of poker, then a full house would be three of one number and two of another. For instance, three eights and two sevens would be a full house.
· Four of a kind – land four cards of the same number or picture and you will do very well to get beaten.
· Straight flush – here, your cards need to be of the same suit and a “straight”, so numerically consecutive – 3-4-5-6-7 of hearts, for example. If you land a straight flush, then it is a truly good day at the decks!
· Royal flush – the granddaddy of them all. A royal flush is the top ranking of the available straight flushes: 10-J-Q-K-A of any matching suit.
Make sure to check the rules of each game you play, as this could really work to your advantage. Games like Bonus Deuces, for example, offer slight variations on the traditional rules of poker, and it’s always best to double check and practice with these before starting to play the game to make sure you’re totally confident before getting stuck in.
5. Question time
Remember, if you’re finding things a little confusing, there’s a help button included with the majority of our video poker selection that will help you with any queries you might have. If you still have questions about poker, however…
…check out our FAQ below:
How does video poker actually work?
Essentially with video poker, we utilise a Random Number Generator (RNG) that selects and deals cards to both yourself and the dealer. The casino has absolutely no control over what comes up when, and we at Bitcasino only use RNG algorithms that have been tested and certified by third-parties to ensure fairness.
Most often you are playing exclusively against the casino, pitting your wits against theirs.
Can anyone play video poker?
As long as you are aged 18 or older, then yes. There are no other requirements for video poker, so once you have an approved account with Bitcasino, you can jump right in.
Can I play video poker for free?
Yes, you can. Here at Bitcasino, our games are available in both free play and real-money modes, so you can “try before you buy”, so to speak.
Can I play video poker using Bitcoin?
Absolutely: Bitcasino is the first Bitcoin-focused casino to get an official licence, so you can deposit and withdraw your cryptocurrencies with complete confidence. For more information about how that process works, head to our payments support page. If you don’t yet have an account with us, sign up today to make use of our welcome bonuses for new players, and whet your appetite for one of the most iconic casino games.
Words: Sean McNulty
Images: PA & Deposit Photos