What is Metamask?
First, we are going to install it on our laptop browser, then we'll load the same wallet on our phone. Let's start with our laptops.
Metamask is available for the browsers Chrome, Firefox, Brave & Edge. (There is no extension for Safari).
- Go to Metamask.io on your laptop browser and download the wallet extension.
- Once installation is complete this page will be displayed. Click the Get Started button.
- If this is your first time creating a wallet, click the Create a Wallet button. (If you already have a secret recovery phrase for an already existing Metamask wallet, import the already created wallet using the Import Wallet button).
- Click I Agree button to allow data to be collected to help improve Metamask or else click the No Thanks button. The wallet can still be created even if the user will click on the No Thanks button.
- Click on the dark area which says Click here to reveal secret words to get your secret phrase.
- This is the most important step. Back up your secret phrase properly. Do not store your secret phrase on your computer, or your phone, or ANYWHERE digitally. The secret recovery phrase is the only way to access your wallet if you forget your password. Anyone with this secret recovery phrase can access your wallet from any computer, anywhere in the world.
Write the secret recovery phrase down physically, and store it in a safe place.
Once done click the Next button.
- Click the buttons respective to the order of the words in your secret recovery phrase. In other words, type the seed phrase using the button on the screen. If done correctly the Confirm button should turn blue.
- Click the Confirm button. Please follow the tips mentioned.
- You can see the balance and copy the address of the account by clicking on the Account 1 area. You can also rename the Account by clicking the kebab menu.
- You can access Metamask in the browser by clicking the Foxface icon on the top right. If the Foxface icon is not visible on Chrome browser, then click on the puzzle piece icon right next to it and pin it.
You have now successfully installed Metamask on your laptop browser.
In the next step, we're going to take our secret recovery phrase, and load the same wallet instance on our phones so we can:
- Make payments.
- Login to Web3 applications.
- Claim POAPs.
- View any NFTs on our wallet.