Rummy tips and tricks you should know about
Rummy is one of the most popular card games in the casino industry. For centuries, this card game has been enjoyed in different parts of the world. It comes in different variants and names, depending on the country and culture.
Traditionally, rummy is played using cards and other tokens. But now, it can be played in online casinos using a smartphone, tablet, or laptop. While it is often viewed as a simple game, did you know that there are actually rummy tips and tricks that can increase your chances of winning? If you’re curious to know how you can win at this game, continue reading!
Rummy: How the game works
You need to use two-deck cards in playing rummy, including two jokers. In this game, the player must declare their action verbally by selecting and discarding cards from the pile of cards on the table.
There are two kinds of piles in the deck: closed and open decks. A closed deck means that the player is not allowed to see which card they’re picking, while an open deck is where the players can take a look at the cards. Players have to group the cards in valid sequences or in matched sets, which are categorised as pure and impure.
In this game, the cards’ values are ranked from lowest to highest which is Ace to King. Ace is equivalent to one while the numbered cards are worth their pip value.
When playing rummy, you need to form sequences of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit to win. There are two types of sequences that you can form which are pure and impure. Having at least one of these can ensure your win.
A pure sequence is a group of three or more cards that come in the same suit or arranged in consecutive order. Forming a pure sequence during a rummy game doesn’t allow players to use a Joker or Wild card. Mastering these rummy tricks can be beneficial to your gaming.
Here are some examples of a pure sequence:
- 5♥ 6♥ 7♥ (In this sequence there are three cards and there is no Joker or wild card utilised)
- 3♠ 4♠ 5♠ 6♠ (In this sequence there are four cards and there is no Joker or wild card utilised)
One of the rummy tricks you can do is having an impure sequence. An impure rummy sequence takes place when there is a group of three or more with the same suit. However, the only difference is that a Joker is used for this sequence.
Here are some examples of an impure sequence:
- 6♦ 7♦ Q♠ 9♦ (Here Q♠ has been used as Joker can be interchanged with an 8♦ to form an impure sequence.)
- 5♠ Q♥ 7♠ 8♠ PJ (Impure sequence with Q♥ with a wild joker will replace the 6♠ and the Joker can be interchanged with 9♠.)
Effective rummy strategies you can use
Now that the basics are out of the way, how can you win a game of rummy?
- First of all, form a pure sequence early on. This is because you cannot make a declaration when you don’t have a pure set of cards.
- Discard high ranking cards such as Jack, Queen and King and replace them with wildcards. Doing so can reduce your points and help you in the event that your opponent declares their card before you do.
- Don’t make it a habit to pick cards from the discarded pile. Usually, this gives your opponents an idea of what kind of hand you are trying to form.
- Smart cards in rummy can increase your chances of winning. Usually, these are the cards you can mix with another because they have the same suit. For example, you encounter 7 of any suit, you can pair it with cards such as 5 and 6 with the same suit and so on.
- Know how to play your Joker cards in rummy. Remember that they play a crucial role because they can be interchanged with cards of high value. However, Jokers cannot be used to make pure sequence cards.
- Once you are ready to make a declaration, double-check your cards. Make sure you don’t press the button unless you are sure of the cards in your hand because you can easily lose if it’s a weak hand.
Words by: Rain Quintana